Sunday, April 11, 2010

Montessori Preschool

For the past few Wednesday mornings, I've been going to a preschool (what they call Kindergarten here) in China.  When Maggie first told me about it, I was shocked to hear that Montessori was in China. For everyone who is unfamiliar, the Montessori Method is an educational approach started by Maria Montessori. It focuses on letting children follow their own development. Teachers are just there to assist and guide children. There is no curriculum pacing guides, since children learn at their time and what they feel comfortable doing. Montessori schools usually have very natural materials found in children's everyday environment, such as empty cartons for dramatic play. There is also very little plastic toys.

When I went, I was amazed to see much "Montessori" I could actually see in the school. The materials, the set-up, the carpet squares. The room was divided into centers, just like I would see in an American preschool. The kids were super cute too, of course. Here are some pictures:


Their beds. This would be so illegal in the U.S. because two students sleep next to each other.



Some of their materials


This is exactly like what I would see back home. Notice the picture of Maria Montessori up top.



Again, very typical of a Montessori School.


I wouldn't find play dumplings at home...

No comments:

Post a Comment