Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Lessons and Reflections Weeks 8-10

Week 8
Objective: The students will learn typical jobs within a community (doctor, teacher, police officer, cook, engineer, politician, banker, postal worker, musician). They will say what they want to be when they grow up and why.
Materials: 1/4 a sheet of paper for each student with the words “I want to be a _________ because ___________.”, Large poster board, one per class
Activity: Explain to students that choosing a job or career will be an important decision in their life. People have different jobs for different reasons: they are good at something, the job makes money, it is what they have to do, etc. Introduce the different jobs and their responsibilities. Write them on the board as they are described. Allow students to give more suggestions and add them to the list on the board. Hand out the paper to the students and instruct them to fill out the sentence of what they want to be and why. Then, tell them to draw a picture of themselves in that job. When students are finished with both the picture and the sentence, they can come up and hang their paper on the large poster board to create an “Our Future” classroom collage.
Reflection: Overall, the lesson went really well. I think the one of biggest markers of a good lesson is the behavior of the students, and all except one of my classes earned a square for the week! For three of my fourth grade classes, it was their fifth square, so they got their treat - chocolate! The students got really excited; they clapped and cheered :)
     Many of the students knew what some of the jobs were (as I expected) but within describing those jobs, I taught them new words, such as emergency and invent. I also had students tell me other jobs they knew and what they did. They really liked going up and putting their papers on the poster board. That encouraged many students to complete their papers instead of doing something else. I gave the posters to the classroom teachers. I saw many of the teachers hanging them up in the classroom.

Week 9
Objective: The students will learn the name and characteristics of animals (penguin, giraffe, buffalo, monkey, seal, gorilla, cat, crocodile, camel, donkey, and elephant).
Materials: From Head to Toe by Eric Carle, three different colored chalk
Activity: Read From Head to Toe by Eric Carle. Encourage the students to move their bodies along with the book. After reading the book, list the animals on the board and describe each one. Ask the students if they know any other animals, and describe them as well. Then play a game with the students. Break the class into two colored teams (based on two colors of chalk). Have an Animal Alphabet relay race where the teams have to come up, one at a time, and write the name of an animal, starting with the letter A all the way to Z. Have the teams line up in the aisle. If needed, write the alphabet down the middle in the third color chalk as a divider of space on the board and a reference for the teams. The team that has the most animals (they only get one point per letter) is the winner. If time permits, play charades with animals.
Reflection: I didn't do the Animal Alphabet Relay Race with the 3rd graders because most of the classes were too noisy and they would not be able to understand and follow the directions. Some of the 4th grade classes had a hard time. Instead, I played charades for longer. They had a great time :)

Week 10
I didn't really have a "lesson" planned for this week, since I was only going to teach two days and it was my last two days with some of my favorite classes. For the first 10-15 minutes, I organized the class so I could take a class photo. Then I did a short lesson on different types of transportation. After wards, I let the students look at the Ford car books I brought from home. They LOVED them! The pictures are very colorful and the books include things like pictures of the engine, wheels, GPS systems, etc. I went around and took more pictures, saying "goodbye" to my students. It was sad and I got many little trinkets from them as farewell presents.

No comments:

Post a Comment